Friday, September 14, 2007

A Different Sea

While I have been teaching at my school for three weeks now, today I feel like I finally stopped long enough to see it from afar. As I mentioned in a previous post, this week is homecoming and so today we had our homecoming pep rally. Since the school is still pretty new and small, the administration is working hard to start some new traditions. All the kids were to gather outside in the circle drive while the band, football team, cheerleaders, and homecoming court walked by as everyone cheered. Then as they passed everyone jumped on to the end of the parade and we all walked around the perimeter of the school to the gym. I entered the gym toward the end, and as I looked up into the stands full of kids I stood in the doorway in awe of the scene. These kids weren't white, or black or Asian or Mexican... gazing up into the stands I saw a sea of brown. While I had always seen the school as a patchwork of many different races and backgrounds, today I saw the school as one... culturally diverse and beautifully brown.

No comments: